Cavalry for the Late Imperial Roman army

Continuing on with the painting, here are some cavalry bases I've painted up.

This first is a command base with a draco standard, fielded here with Gothic Noble cavalry. I ordered quite a few "adjacent" armies together with my Late Imperial Romans, with an eye towards synergy in forming new armies. Gothic contingents were increasingly common in the Late Imperial Roman army, and of course I can always field them as opponents to the Romans themselves. The shield pattern was inspired by this site, and it seemed suitable for both a native Gothic unit as well as a Gothic contingent within the Roman army.


Along with the Goths, I also ordered some Early Byzantine figures. These are, strictly speaking, not in the same time period as the Late Imperial Romans, but I figured they were close enough to pass muster - plus I was, once again, thinking of re-using these figures for more than one army. The front rank are bucellarii, armed with spears and target shields, and the rear rank are cavallaroi, armed with bows and swords. The shield pattern on the target shields is fictional: it just seemed (a) easy to paint and (b) vaguely something like what the Eastern empire might paint on their shields.


Last but not least is the one base of cataphracts, here grouped together with my Sarmatians. Once again, the Sarmatians are not strictly correct for this period (though they did fight against, and serve in, the Roman army for a short period of time), but they are close enough to pass as Eastern Cataphracts.


As you can see, when I embarked on this Late Imperial Roman army project, I selected quite a few non-Roman figures: Ostrogoth, Romano-British, and Early Byzantine. The plan was to be able to field a large Late Imperial Roman army formed of a Roman core with allied contingents, as well as to have enough figures in the allied contingents that they could be split off as DBA sized (12 bases) armies if I ever wanted to use them that was. In all, when (if) I get all of the figures painted, I should have a small Romano-British army, a small Ostrogoth army, and a small Early Byzantine army. Fielded as a complete Late Imperial Roman army, the Romano-British and Early Byzantine figures would be mixed in to pass as Romans, and the Ostrogoths would be the primary allied contingent.

Comments

Popular Posts