Winter Panzers

Here are some photos of the two most recent models I've completed:
StuG III
This Stug III is an Airfix kit. Airfix kits have a bit of a chequered history with me: I've struggled with the poor quality moulding (the words you see imprinted on the inside of the kit, before you seal the upper hull to the lower, are "Copyright Airfix 1967", which gives you an idea how old the moulds must be) and poorer fit of parts. Building their T-34 left me with plenty of broken parts, and not enough swear words to go around.

However, this particular kit wasn't all that bad - I actually completed the build while watching two episodes from the first season DVD of "Dead Like Me", which tells you how much attentiveness is required, and painted the next day in about the same time. The poor moulding has left plenty of flash to be trimmed, but has retained nice detail in the upper deck (take a look at the dotted pattern on the hull above the tracks), which were easy to pick out in the painting process. I did my usual clumsy thing, and wrecked the gun barrel during assembly, but the brass tube I replaced it with is probably better anyway.

Pzr IV

The Hasegawa Panzer IV Ausf G, on the other hand, is a totally different breed of kit - refined, well thought out, easy to build yet clean and crisp in detail. I have nothing but praise for Hasegawa's work. These two are part of my effort to diversify my 1/72 wargaming collection. My current stockpile includes a substantial Russian force: a bucketload of T-34s (Airfix, Fujimi and Italeri), two SU-85s, a KV-1 and a KV-2, two companies of infantry (based for Crossfire).
The German side is a bit skimpier - no infantry, a Tiger and a Panther. These two tanks are part of my effort to broaden my opposing force collection, as well as to cover a period that we (the Napnuts) don't have - a good collection of tanks in winter whitewash. With these two, we should be able to game a few Eastern Front scenarios for the winters of '41-'44.

Comments

Popular Posts